For years I have struggled with insomnia and there is nothing worse, it's so debilitating being tired! Here are a few things that I have found really help me. Hope they might help you too!
- don't drink caffeine after 4pm
- don't go to bed really hungry or really full
- wind down before bed, don't go from gear 10 to 1 and expect to fall straight to sleep! Read a book or have a bath, anything to go down a few gears!
- have a hot drink, it's comforting, not chocolate as it's got caffeine in it! Try ginger tea.
- make sure you have done some exercise during the day
- make sure your windows are open and the room is not too hot or too cold
- make sure you are comfortable! I know it sounds silly but wear comfortable clothes that are going to keep you at a good temperature
- invest in a new mattress if yours is very old! Not only are the springs likely to have gone it's going to be full of bed bugs which could cause allergy symptoms
- make sure it's dark. If you can't ensure this then wear a sleep mask (they are amazing!)
- make sure it's quiet. Wear ear plugs if you can!
- try to not think too much, especially about going to sleep, the more you worry about this the less likely you will be able to sleep. I was told this tip once: With your eyes closed, picture a piece of square red velvet. Every time a thought comes into your head, focus on the velvet and don't like the thought come in across it, just ignore it and keep focussing on the velvet. Keep all thoughts out.
- make sure your levels of magnesium are optimum. Have a blood test to find out what they are and take a supplement if required. Magnesium helps control the stress hormone cortisol, and also helps relax your muscles.
- try reflexology, it's so relaxing!
- try acupuncture, it's supposed to be good for helping sleep
- if all else fails then I take a couple of paracetemol, not great to resort to medication but I find it really helps relax me and better than a really strong sleeping tablet!
I'm off to bed now, sleep well! : - ) x